It might be hard to believe, but sleep is more important to your health than exercise. How can something that is so easy be more important that working out?
While you sleep, your hormones reset. Your battery recharges.
Sleep is so essential to your body, and most people do not get enough quality sleep.
Studies have shown just by getting an hour more sleep per night, if you are not already getting eight quality hours, your ability to lose weight increases by 25-40 percent.
Evaluate your sleep quality and number of hours you get. If you get less than eight hours per night, or wake up multiple times per night, see the tips below to help improve your sleep and ultimately your health.
- No screen time 1-2 hours before bed. That’s right no phone, tablet, or tv.
- Keep your bedroom cool (62-68 degrees) and as dark as possible (blackout curtains).
- Limit the amount of water you drink right before bed
- Go to bed and wake up at the same times every day, even on weekends
- Stretch your whole body to relax, and practice deep breathing before bed
- Try a non-stimulating activity like reading to relax your mind before bed
If you attempt all of these and still cannot get a quality night of sleep, you may need to try supplementing with Melatonin and or Magnesium.
Making an appointment with our Nurse Practitioners to evaluate your hormone levels is another great option as not sleeping well is a telltale sign of hormone imbalance.
-Fitness Staff, email@example.com
$2 / DAY